Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Sultan of Celery

Tomorrow marks the one week anniversary of my diet. It's the same diet practiced by the OT and one of the nurse's where I work and with whose fluctuating bulges I've become acquainted, as they have with mine. Actually mine weren't fluctuating, just billowing. They didn't think I'd do it and frankly, neither did I. Such a goal fell into the category of "long intended" as in "the road to a heart attack is paved with good intentions."

The tipping point came three days before Christmas when I had a near fainting spell at the holiday crowded, muzak infested supermarket. I paid the cashier in a daze and using my shopping cart as a walker, trembled to my car. I felt pretty bad. And there, standing by the open trunk, not even bothering to transfer the bags of groceries into the car and out of the falling snow, I dug frantically for the Newman's Limeade and shamelessly guzzled a good quarter of it straight out of the pour spout, the sugar fix and bracing freeze bringing me back to life. I found some Frito's in there too (I don't usually buy them but it's Christmas and I must have my traditional garlic dip which can only be scooped with Frito's). And as I stood there, amidst the detritus of snack food in the fallen snow, I realized that there were some far reaching health consequences on the near horizon which were not acceptable to me, extreme discomfort whenever I tried to tied my shoes notwithstanding.

For me, being on a diet is definitely miserable and practically psychedelic. Without the snacks which I use to measure and mark each movement of the sun, the granola bars, the chips, the bowls of cereal, I'm adrift. Without those ducks to guide my trek through each day I frequently come up short at thousand foot drops and roaring streams. Without my carbs to guide me I'm a husk of a man. I guess becoming a husk is the goal here so I must be doing something right. My refrigerator, which for the first couple of days was reluctant to relinquish items which I longed to swallow but was no longer allowed, has bit by rotting bit begun to hack up each spoiled nutritional deficit and is beginning to take on the look of a refrigerator belonging to a person who I don't know. It's the feng shui of health and hunger.

All routines built around carbs and sugars have been dismantled and stacked outside in the snow, alongside this year's Christmas tree, recently dragged off the third floor in a murder of dried needles. Half and half in coffee; gone. Granola bar eaten on the way to work; gone. Each delectable snack, tender ministries to the tensions of the work day; gone. At lunch, my customary home made burrito has been replaced by a Great Dane sized tupperware container full of lettuce and baked chicken breasts. Oh lord! Last night as I walked thru the grocery store I almost fell to my knees in the shadow of the valley of bread and ice cream. My prayers for a cup of sweet juice mocked as another shopper edged around me, slightly annoyed at my reverent pause while she piled her shopping cart high with cakes and calamities.

I'm told that one day I will walk satiated thru each hour of my life, at peace with my last meal, and genuinely looking forward to my next. That one day I will rightfully wear the crown of the Prince of Protein; the Sultan of Celery. But for now I'm mocked by my own grumbling belly and cruelly taunted by Faustian visions of sugars and carbohydrates which promise me a moments peace, for piece of my moments.

4 comments:

Billy Canary said...

You got portly? Hard to imagine!

Join Facebook. It's goofy and stupid, but I've been reunited with some old folks. Lotta talk of old River City Music.

Bull Thorn said...

Who said anything about portly, I just can't tie my shoes or pick items off the floor.

MojoMan said...

OK. Your first pitfall is thinking of it as a diet. Diets don't work, because they end and you go back to your old ways. You have to find a new relationship with food and be faithful to it. Forever.

I'm going through the same process now. I did it a few years ago, but fell off the wagon. Now I'm back on. This time, I'm confident, because it worked last time. A few things I find helpful:(1)If it's not nutritious, I don't want it. That cuts out most sugar and salty/fatty snacks. (2)I try to eat only as much as I really need to fuel my activities. I think of stories about people going through hardship and try to imagine how little it really takes to keep someone alive and healthy. It's amazing how little food we really need, and it's disgusting how much we so often eat. (3) When I feel hungry, I try to regard it as a good thing, like a signal that I've been faithful to my quest for truthful eating. (4) I plan to eat really good stuff, like organics and fine cheeses. I can afford it because I'm eating so little of it. It's trading quantity for quality. (5) I'm avoiding processed food-like products and trying to eat more food I prepare myself from scratch. I don't trust corporations to produce truly healthful, nutritious food when all they care about is profits, advertising, packaging, transportability and shelf life. (6)Red wine is health food.

Sorry to ramble on, but this is timely for me. I should probably just turn it into a blog post of my own. Maybe after I'm a little further into it and I can write with less chance of looking foolish for giving up so quickly.

Good luck. Don't forget to exercise regularly too.

Bull Thorn said...

Mojo--That is very helpful. Thanks Alot of what you say resonates with me. The "forever" part freaks me out a little because I still don't have a repertoire of foods I can eat which I love. I still have flashes of longing for the shit I used to stuff into myself. I'm working on it. I also agree that the exercise piece is lacking. That's been a deficit since my broken arm. Thanks for the support.